Thursday, November 19, 2009

Obsolete

To all those who have ever used the "It's gonna look ridiculous when you're 80" anti-tattoo argument:

Think of how many people in the 18-34 demographic are getting tattoos these days. Realize that they are all aging at the same rate. Therefore, when I'm 80, my tattoo will look just as ridiculous as every other 80-year-old's. They'll have become so prevelant, they probably won't even register. Remember pierced ears were freakish, too, once upon a time, but I'm not gonna point and laugh at your grandma for still wearing earrings.

So shut it.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I was a little concerned when my 24 (then 21) year old daughter had a tatoo of a four leaf clover the size of a silver dollar tatooed onto her foot during a drunken binge on St. Patrick's Day. Subsequently, she was voted one of San Luis Obispo County's sexiest bartenders, which featured her in a calendar WITHOUT the tatoo thanks to the magic of Photo Shop. (She was February....had she been March, maybe it would have been a different story.) Anyway, she's now graduating with a B.S. in Architecture and interviewing for jobs. I'm glad that shoes cover it because unfortunatley, tatoos come with judgments in the corporate world today. Maybe in another decade or so it won't be such a big deal.

    That said, I enjoyed reading your post. And I see your point. Things will be different as the world grows up. If I were younger, I'd probably have one, too. I remember getting a second piercing in one ear and was labeled "a rebel" at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, glad you liked it! :)

    My dad didn't speak to me for 3 months after I got my first tattoo (I was 21, too, but regrettably, never a sexy bartender). And mine are a little more, um, extensive than your daughter's. They cover my whole back. But like you mentioned, they're completely hidden at work. The nose ring, on the other hand... :)

    ReplyDelete