Monday, May 24, 2010

The Customer Is Always Right

About a week ago, I bought a movie from Border's. Idiot that I am, I didn't realize until I got home and opened the case and tried to play said movie that it was a Blu-Ray disc and not a regular DVD. My DVD player does not play Blu-Ray discs. So today I tried to return it.

Me: "Hi, I'd like to return this movie. I have the receipt."
Cashier: "The box is open."
Me: "I know, I didn't realize it wouldn't work in my DVD player until I tried to play it."
Cashier: "We can't give you a refund if the box is open."
Me: "Well, what about store credit?"
Cashier: "Umm...let me ask my manager."
[Cashier confers with manager. Manager approaches.]
Manager: "I'm sorry ma'am. We can't give you a refund if the box has been opened."
Me: "Not even store credit?"
Manager: "Not unless the disc is damaged. Is it damaged?"
Me: "No."
Manager: "We can only give you a refund if it's damaged."
Me: "Well, what if I damage it myself right now. Then can I return it?"
Manager: "Umm...I'm sorry. That's not our policy."

So I think I'm just going to "damage" the disc tonight and try another Border's tomorrow...

8 comments:

  1. Cool!
    You have to be thankful, Becca!
    This is what I went through in a souvenir shop in San Francisco.

    I chose 6 little presents for my friends at school in Mexico.
    The cashier woman calculated the total and gave me the verdict: "$85.99 please"
    *Smile*
    Me: "OK. Can I have 6 little nylon bags instead of a big one?"
    *Silence*
    Cashier: "Umm... only one bag per costumer"
    *Silence*
    Me: "Why not? these are presents for 6 different people…"
    *Silence*
    Cashier: "Only one nylon bag for each costumer, sorry"
    Me: OK. I'll pay for these presents separately. If you want, I'll get out of the store, come back in & pay 6 times."
    Cashier: "Let me ask the manager"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic. To both your story and D's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dalia, that is fantastic. You should have done it and put on a very obvious disguise each time you went back in: 1st trip, wearing a hat; 2nd trip, fake moustache; 3rd trip, dreadlocks wig... The possibilities are endles! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :D:D:D:D:D

    6th trip, holding a loaded Uzi....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holding a loaded Uzi and dressed as a mail carrier. Although...we may all be taking this too personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Becca. I forgot you worked in the Mail room. Snicker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, still waitng to hear about the psychic. No pressure. But if you don't do it soon, I may have to make something up for my own amusement and hack your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ain't in the mailroom no mo'! :D And I promise the psychic post is coming, along with the Miss Universe post. I just got distracted by, you know, people dying on my sidewalk and stuff...

    ReplyDelete