Saturday, May 29, 2010

Psychic Misadventures

Some highlights of my family's group psychic reading held last Monday night:

Sister, in regard to grandparents who died before my siblings and I were born: "What do they say about us?"
Brother, interrupting before psychic can answer: "They're very disappointed in you. Me and Becky are fine, though."

Psychic, holding a picture of our other grandfather: "I'm seeing him surrounded by a ring of fire..."
Me: "Grandpa is Johnny Cash?!?"

Additional Tidbits:
* I am getting married in 2015. It will be a small ceremony. It will probably be held in a VFW hall. [EDITOR'S NOTE: This sounds so tacky that it saddens me.]
* I'm joining the Peace Corps.
* No mention of whether or not I am still gay.

This psychic was a customer at my mom's job who, incidentally, was also the father of a friend of my cousin. A co-worker had invited him to her house to do a reading for some friends, just for kicks, and he had been surprisingly accurate on a few things (except for that minor gay one...), so we thought we'd give it a try, too, again, just for fun.

My mom had informed us that at the end of the session, we could each ask 3 questions. I couldn't think of a single question all day. No, correction: I could think of many questions, but as mentioned in a similar scenario in Eat Pray Love (put your literary objections aside for just a moment), "I was rightly ashamed of myself for these thoughts: who travels all the way around the world to meet an ancient medicine man in Indonesia, only to ask him to intercede in boy troubles?" ["Dear Psychic Man: Will Neil go out with me? Check yes, no, or maybe."] I mentioned this troublesome dilemma to my sister, who wisely replied, "He's not a Balinese medicine man, though. He's just Lisa Altieri's dad."

The only legitimate inquiry I could come up with was, will I ever have kids? As I've written here before, I'm approaching an age at which my fertility will soon be plummeting, and from a practical standpoint, I am in no position to support a child — I'm barely responsible enough to take care of a cat. And so, intellectually, I have come to terms with this. I know I am not ready, and anyway, I am terrified of the idea of childbirth [NOTE TO SELF: NEVER watch Agnes of God and Rosemary's Baby back-to-back ever again.] And, as I frequently remind myself, adoption is always an option. Yet there is still that occasional pang of loss when I spy a chubby, giggling baby on the subway, or when imagining how gorgeous "our" kids would have been if I was married to [insert boy-du-jour here]. It's really the only issue in my life about which I have no real measure of certainty. So at least I had one question.

The psychic arrived at the house, we all settled around the dining room table, and the first thing he said, pointing directly at me before I even asked, was: "You're going to have twin girls."

I don't necessarily believe him, but...wow.

3 comments:

  1. I was going to say, Don't you mean "Am I ever going to have a 'KID'?" knowing how you feel about over population, but wow. That must have given you some goosebumps? So did he say whether you marry at the VFW hall before you join the peace corps or after you retire from the peace corps? Somehow, to me, this makes a difference. Dalia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWINS???? COOL!!!!

    You could call them Adam & Neil, but in these case you'll have to settle for Ady & Neilly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm supposedly having the twins before I get married, actually. And I'm a Gemini, which is the sign of the Twins, and both of my mom's parents were twins, so yeah -- kind of freaky. And Dalia: I would never name my children after Adam and Neil even if I were married to Adam or Neil. I mean, I like the guys but, c'mon... :P

    ReplyDelete