Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lame Claims To Fame: Volume I

I went to high school with former Olympian and MLB relief pitcher Billy Koch.

He was a year younger and way more popular than I was, so I didn't technically "know" him, but he was once, for whatever reason, at a local roller rink with his friends the same night as me and my friends (most likely, to make fun of the people like us who, as high school seniors, voluntarily spent our Friday nights at places like the roller rink instead of, say, drinking in a parking lot), and during "couples skate," one of the roller-cops/amateur matchmakers forcibly paired him with me and demanded we skate together, I think mainly because he was the only guy there who was taller than I was. That was our first and only personal interaction.

Unrelatedly, before attaining his actual "famous person" status, Mr. Koch had already been firmly cemented in West Babylon High School legend as the guy who got his ass kicked outside the cafeteria by Phil Iacono.

No comments:

Post a Comment