Monday, April 5, 2010

Seeking Booty

There's a little candy store in the lobby of the building I work in. I go down there a lot, instead of to the vending machine on our floor, because I almost never have change or anything smaller than a $20 bill on me. Plus, there's a better selection and less junk. I'll usually get yogurt and apple juice for breakfast, or Cheerios for an afternoon snack. (I'm trying to ween myself off potato chips, but I still crave crunchy stuff. I just realized that my diet sounds like an infant's.)

The owner is an older Indian man. I don't know his name, but he recognizes me every time I come in and always says, "Hello, my dear." I feel bad for him sometimes, because he doesn't seem to have too many other customers. Occasionally, I bring my co-worker Mikey down with me, just to drum up some business. Once when I was out sick, Mike went down there to get a drink by himself and was asked with concern, "Oh, where is your friend?"

One day I discovered Pirate's Booty over in the chip section. I love Pirate's Booty; I can't even tell you how much. So I must have seemed pretty excited while paying for my purchase, and this must have made an impression on my new friend. After that, every time I came down and didn't get Pirate's Booty, he would smile and ask, "No Pirate Booty today?" Just picture that said in an Indian accent. It was so adorable I wanted to hug him.

A few days ago, I went down there, walked over to my usual rack, and realized there was no Pirate's Booty left. Before I even had a chance to scan the shelf for a replacement snack, he was apologizing and promising that he had ordered more "for me." I had to reassure him about 3 or 4 times that it was ok, I didn't need it, I could just get something else.

The next day I was starting to doze off at my desk, so I went down to get some M&Ms, figuring chocolate would help keep me awake. The chocolate stuff is nowhere near the chips, so I wasn't even walking in that direction, when he again apologized for the lack of Pirate's Booty. "No, it's ok," I laughed, "I just need some chocolate today." He assured me again that a delivery would be coming in soon.

So this morning, I got in a few minutes early and went down to the store to get a banana. And, lo and behold: Pirate's Booty, back in stock. "See, I told you there would be more," he said as soon as I walked in the door. He sounded kind of proud of himself, and also kind of relieved. Again, I just wanted to hug him. Poor guy.

"Thank you so much!" I smiled, and grabbed a bag, even though I hadn't really been planning to.

I just couldn't spoil his day like that.

8 comments:

  1. You made me feel kind of sad with this story.
    The only thing I can think to feel better is that at least, the Indian man has a job, and somehow is making some bucks.
    Too bad there are many of those idiotic machines replacing people.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. He makes me feel a little sad! Then again, maybe business is fine and he's just lonely because he's down there by himself all day and is trying to make small talk. He's just precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also eating Pirate's Booty right now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need your mom's phone number right now!
    She has to know about your nutritional habits!

    >:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pirate Booty is a healthy snack! It's like Honey Sunshine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I learned that the candy store man's name is "Peter" and he's there from 6:30am to 7:30pm every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Peter is our man.
    Send him our stalkers love!
    Does he have a Twitter account? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know -- I'll ask him when I go down to get some more Pirate's Booty. :D

    ReplyDelete