Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Voice Mail Fail

My office voicemail system may be the most counterintuitive piece of technology I've ever encountered. Presented below is the process through which I have to go just to listen to a damn message:

"Welcome to [system name]. For help at any time, press *8."

First of all, what would I possibly need help for at this point? I haven't done anything yet! And "*8"? What, the traditional "0" just wasn't unneccessarily complicated enough for you?

"Please enter extension, followed by the pound sign. Please enter password, followed by the pound sign."

Ok, that's pretty universal. No complaints.

"Mailbox of Rebecca Godan."

Uh, I'm pretty sure I'm already aware of who I am...

"To record messages, press 1."

What? Why would I need to do this? This is my first option?

"To get messages, press 2."

Standard...almost.

"Voice call from [caller]. Received at 10:28, Wednesday, July 28th. 12 seconds. Extension [caller's extension]."

Gee, after all that detailed information, who needs to hear the actual message, AMIRITE?! No shit it's a voice call — this is my VOICEmail. AND WHY DO I NEED TO KNOW THE PRECISE LENGTH OF THE CALL WHEN I CAN JUST LISTEN TO IT MYSELF??

"To listen to this message, press 0. To delete, press *D."

Now you decide to go with "0"? When every single other voicemail system in the world goes with "1"? What, you just wanted to feel special? And "*D"? Are you kidding me? You've become so elaborate now that you need to use 2 keys and a letter? Plus, WHY WOULD I WANT TO DELETE THE MESSAGE IF I HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD IT YET?!?



All this superfluous junk to wade through, just to listen to "Hi Rebecca, it's Lucy. Call me."

Boys and girls, it's the accumulation of little things like this that makes people bring rifles to work...

3 comments:

  1. who is Lucy? What did she want? Dalia will not like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOLLLL !!!!!!

    What would you say if I told you that THAT nightmarish invention is Israeli?

    HUHHH ?????

    Such a pride! :D


    TCHC! Becca is cheating on me :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to hear a scary story? Ok. (hope you said yes). I used to work in a hospital as a medical transcriptionist and one night I was transcribing a pscych consult report. The guy had been sitting in his apartment overlooking the center of town where the local Christmas tree lighting ceremony was taking place...with his rifle pointing out of the window. He chose to make a phone call instead. Have to love a guy with a thread left, don't you?

    ReplyDelete