Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Winter (Of My Discontent) Games

21-year-old Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili died yesterday before the official start of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics during a practice run because he crashed at about 95 mph and flew into an unpadded steel support post.

So basically, he died for a really fast sled ride.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be callous. I feel terrible for his family, friends and teammates. It's sad that such a joyous occasion as the Opening Ceremonies was shadowed by such a tragic event. I teared up when the Georgian delegation entered the arena and the crowd gave them a standing ovation. It breaks my heart that someone so young came so close only for a terrible accident to rob him of his chance to compete. And I can understand the desire to represent your country and be a part of the Olympic Games in any way you can.

But the fact that luge is even considered an Olympic sport pisses me off. It's basically just a really dangerous amusement park ride. I feel like even ice dancing requires more skill and training. And say all you want about curling, but at least it's the "athlete" that's doing most of the work, not gravity and a big twisty slide.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong — I'm not presenting myself as an authority by any means. These are only my impressions from watching the races on television. However, according to The Washington Post, Svein Romstad of the International Luge Federation said that when Kumaritashvili flew off the track, he experienced "a G-force that literally collapsed his body, rendering it difficult to control the sled." Sounds to me like I'm pretty much (forgive the pun) on track.

So women's ski jumping is still not allowed, but being crushed by the G-force created by sliding downhill on a sharply curved track surrounded by giant steel posts at 95 mph on a sled over which you have no control — that embodies the grand Olympic spirit of the Winter Games.

Go world.

5 comments:

  1. I get your point and agree with you 100%!
    There are other questionable so called "sports", but not for the same reason.
    Box, for instance...does that horrible 'thing' have anything to do with the sport spirit? Doesn't sport activity have to be related with health to some degree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For what it's worth, there's womens' luge and skeleton events.

    If a 21-year old dies, I'd rather it be in sport than because he drank a bottle of tequila in an hour or tried to run across a highway for funsies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sad. I see your point. Chances are he was a risk-taker by nature. If he loved the thrill of the ride and died doing something he loved, I guess I won't judge. It does make me wonder, though, is parachuting an Olympic Sport? It is kind of the same thing only more vertical...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "For what it's worth, there's womens' luge and skeleton events."

    Umm...? Gender equality doesn't make it less of a dumb sport, IMO. And it doesn't make the absence of women's ski jumping any more sensible.

    Agreed, tho, on the point that he died doing something he loved. I'm not criticizing his choice, just what exactly defines a "sport." I mean, I love roller coasters. If I died falling off of one, it would be "better" than if I died of cancer. But I don't think there should be a Professional Roller Coaster-Riding League, you know?

    ReplyDelete