Monday, March 1, 2010

Run It, Run It

Now that my Olympic fever has broken, I figured I'd share some of my own tales of athletic adventure.

Just don't expect anything as exciting as curling.

Running runs in my family. My grandpa could go for miles on the beach, practically every day, well into his 70s. My brother ran cross-country for years and still does, recreationally. And I'm pretty sure my uncle still holds track records at my high school. Two years ago, my sister ran the New York City Marathon. As if it weren't enough that she's a model-esque rock star who talks to famous people, she can now add "ultra-athlete" to her resume. Told you she was my hero. :)

Now, I'm the kind of gal who will break into tears over a particularly moving television commercial, so you can imagine how inspiring it was to just be standing there on the sidelines in Central Park, watching runners from all over the world crossing the finish line, never mind my baby sister. I was so proud and so pumped that I decided right there, "I'm gonna do this someday."

Unfortunately, I've been slacking a bit on carrying on the family tradition.

All through elementary school, when I weighed approximately 12 and a half pounds and was of unnatural-for-an-8-year-old height with legs up to my chin, I was unstoppable. Forget tomboy, I was one of the boys. I ruled gym class. I owned the playground. I could sprint like nobody's business. Then, right around the ripe old age of 12, I just stopped. Junior high peer pressure and insecurity were the likely culprits, and beating the boys at dodgeball took a backseat to being popular. Which never really happened anyway.

Bad trade.

So recently I've decided I need to start getting out of the house more, never mind lose about 20 pounds. I live only 3 blocks from Prospect Park, and the loop around the perimeter is almost exaclty a 5K, so I've started running again. And what I mean by "running" is "jogging until I get winded then strolling through the park for 20 minutes." I've got no discipline. So as an incentive, I joined the New York Road Runners. The real draw of this for me is that if you run in 9 of their qualifying races and volunteer at one, you are automatically entered in the next year's NYC Marathon. I am so doing this.

Of course, my sister already belongs to the Road Runners and yesterday was our first race together — a 4-miler in Prospect Park, my home territory. Hearing more experienced runners chatting afterwards about how hilly the course was made me feel a little smug: I "run" this difficult path on a regular basis — take that! But the best part for me, now that I finally have an iPod again, was the soundtrack. It's so much easier to keep a regular pace if you have a beat to follow, especially if that beat belongs to Stone Temple Pilots' "Sex Type Thing."

But here's the really astounding part: I neither planned nor expected to run the whole race straight through (I know my limits), and I had the iPod on shuffle — totally random — but somehow, every time I was about to slow down and start walking, Lady Gaga came on. Seriously — right after the first mile, when the uphill was really getting steep: "Paparazzi." After the second water station, when I was tempted to slow down and really take a drink: "Bad Romance." And on the home stretch: "Pokerface." Those are also the only 3 Gaga songs I have on my playlist right now. It was like fate! And there's nothing more fun than sailing on an endorphin high, panting "Ra ra ra ah ah, roma ro ma ma" or "'Cause I'm bluffin' with my muffin!" out loud, and watching everyone who passes you give you weird looks.

Thank you, Cleveland!

Also: 53 minutes. All before I usually even wake up on a weekend. :) And I am now officially on my way to running the 2012 NYC Marathon.

...if the world doesn't end by then.

15 comments:

  1. it'll be the 2011 marathon so you're in luck! boo ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A piece of advice:
    Stop running after your sister!
    (and I mean it in a figurative way...)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a message from the cosmic universe. And Lady GaGa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Courts: Oh, sweet! I calculated wrong. So now I will at least be able to say I ran a marathon before I die in a fiery apocalypse. :D

    @Dalia: Do you suggest I switch back to running after Neil...? ;)

    @TCHC (I've adopted Dalia's moniker): Lady GaGa *is* the cosmic universe...ooh, deep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Running after Neil? Hell no!!!

    You two guys remind me of a specially smart friend of mine.
    He was so smart that, in his philosophical questioning to find his way in the universe, he found communism, and embrace it at the age of 17.

    Today he is an ultra-orthodox Rabbi in some unknown hole in South America.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, there's no chance of me becoming an ultra-orthodox anything. Plus, I'm a recovering Catholic. :D

    I don't know how Twitter and my obsession with the Lambert family have given you the impression that I'm super-smart, but thanks for the flattery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yayy! You go! Go go go.

    I am also a recovering Catholic, and a lapsed runner. I plan to get back on it (the running, that is) after this baby o' mine is born in May. I am already signed up for a running/drinking marathon -- each team of 4 runs 3 legs of 2 miles each. And then you drink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becca & Kerry,

    What about a Catholic relapse ?
    They say a junkie is a junkie...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, someone at this race was just trying to convince me to do one of those -- every leg ends at a different bar and you alternate drinking and running for however many miles. I'm about as good at drinking as I am at running. I'd be passed out in the bushes by the middle of the second leg. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a rebel, not a junkie! I was never a true believer. My mom just made us go every Sunday because she went to Catholic school. I sporadically go back for Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and all it does is remind me why I don't go anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Lady Gaga is cosmic. All that and a bag of bullshit. I mean chips. No I don't. But I do like her music. You still haven't 'splained TCHC. Is it one of those best unexplained acronyms?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, you're not allowed to defame Lady GaGa on this blog. 3 Strikes, and I revoke your membership. :P

    I think TCHC means:

    T = The
    CH = Chicken
    C = Consigliere

    Not sure why she put that extraneous H in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops. I take it back LG. Mea culpa.
    TCHC..ohhhhh. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Because I am extraneous!
    You don't say c_icken, but ch_icken, that's why!

    P.S. Lady GaGa...ugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. YOU LEAVE GAGA ALONE!!! How many times have I told you this? :P

    ReplyDelete